Tuesday, April 17

Exercise Fail

Sarah: 
Recently I decided to try a running program and see if I could get into shape.  It went like this:

Week 1: Run one minute. Walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
Week 2: Run two minutes. Walk one minute. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
Week 3: Run three minutes. Walk one minute. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
Week 4: Run five minutes. Walk two minutes. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
Week 5: Run eight minutes. Walk two minutes. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 6: Run twelve minutes. Walk one minute. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 7: Run fifteen minutes. Walk one minute. Run fifteen minutes. Do three times a week.
Week 8: Run thirty minutes continuously.

I thought to myself, "1 minute isn't that bad, it won't be easy but I bet I can do this,"  so I tried to run for one minute ... I made it 15 seconds.  To add insult to injury I was only able to repeat 4 times.  After 4 times I felt like throwing up.  Being sick and not being able to do a ton while I was pregnant really caught up to me, bah. And since I'm not in high school anymore and I now have a little one to look after when I get home, throwing up was not an option.  Oh well, life does have it's setbacks.  Now I am planning on getting my diaphragm back into shape (I have discovered it's a lazy bugger) and I'm still planning on running and using a modified running program, even if I need to do it 15 seconds at a time.

On to a happier note =) I have been able to find time to do crafts.  Josh is getting used to the way I do things: several projects going on at the same time and constantly starting a new one before I finish the old ones.  In my defense, I don't let myself get to bogged down in too many crafts I usually finish at least one before starting a new one, also Allen makes it hard to finish .  Recently I have finished booties for Allen (bigger ones than the ones I originally made him, they actually don't fit him yet), a cute hat, and a dishcloth.  Projects still in progress (some of these are really, really close to being done):  another dishcloth, two doilies, another cute hat, and two crocheted toys.  Projects for the future:  overalls for Allen (sewn not crocheted), more baby booties, another dishcloth, mini mittens and hats (this may take a bit to build up courage to do, I don't have a pattern and I really want to try and make them, but making my own pattern is intimidating), and a quilt.  It's quite nice to have lots to keep me entertained. 

Joshua:

The past couple weeks have been busy to say the least.  All of the projects that I've been had due this semester were due the in the past week.  After tomorrow at about 6:00 I'll be done with three of my classes though and that's good since my brain is checked out already.  I've been on the search for a full time job without any luck.  I have had a couple of phone interviews but nothing more than that.  I had an interview with Bechtel, out in Maryland, a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything back from them yet so there's still some hope there.  At the moment we're trying to decide whether we want to move to Texas or stay in Utah and continue to look for a job, we'll try and decide within the next month.  

On a funner note, I get lots of exercise every day.  I walk up the hill to campus almost every day to work or school and I walk home everyday rain, snow, or shine and I definitely prefer the warm sunny days.  But this doesn't keep me in good enough shape to do 5k's which I want to do more now that school is basically out.  This summer I'm thinking maybe I'll do a biathlon with my mother-in-law but that'll depend on where we are.  I've also been reading some good books to keep my stress level down, team members that don't do anything are quite frustrating, and have found some new books that I wouldn't mind owning sometime in the future.


Allen:  

Allen loves the morning; he wakes up and wants to eat anywhere between 5:30 and 7:30 am.  Usually it's around 6:30 or 7:30 then he usually spends about an hour with Joshua as he gets ready for school/work.  When Joshua brings him back to Sarah, sometimes he's willing to cuddle and sleep for another hour or so, but usually he wants to get up and go.  This usually involves sitting in his chair and batting his chimes (a gift  from Grandma Wilcox) while Mom eats and gets ready, tummy-time, a bath, talking, and lots of naps.  

Allen is doing great at tummy-time he holds his head up longer every time he's willing to try.  Sometimes though he just lays his head down and hangs out without even flexing a muscle.  When he gets fussy and bored of being on his stomach (or tired of laying in his drool puddle, the child is turning into a drool monster), we've started rolling him onto his back so he can play with the toys on his play mat.  The first time we did this he had all of his limbs going and was hitting a different toy with each limb.  He's calmed down a little and though he still enjoys hitting them he only hits one at a time, usually with his arms.

 Tummy-time failure with a pillow.

Tummy-time failure without a pillow.

One of Allen's favorite games lately is Superman with dad.  Josh holds Allen up and Allen goes stiff as a board (though he doesn't stick his arms out yet).  He coos and smiles and has a grand time playing.  He's also decided that sitting isn't that bad.  He looks around while sitting on our laps.  We have to help him balance a little but he's working those stomach muscles and doing better every day.  Allen also has started baby talk.  He makes all sorts of noises especially when his diaper is being changed or he's playing.  It's amazing to think that he's been around for 3 months (13 almost 14 weeks) already.  Crazy how time flies

No comments:

Post a Comment